Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Freaky Super Powers

Honestly, I try to keep my nosiness in check, but there is one place where I just can't seem to control myself.

The airport.

It's probably the librarian in me, but I love to see what people are reading when they're stuck in the airport or on a plane. The Boyfriend, bless his heart, knows this, and last week he had to spend a couple of days in Phoenix on business. This was the conversation we had on our way home from the airport:

The Boyfriend: I met a nice girl from Manhattan on the flight back. She was reading a book....by Gilbert Something. (Side note: The Boyfriend is a "talker" on the plane. He loves to chat up the person sitting next to him)

Me: Gilbert Something? Got anything else?

TB: That's all I can remember....

Me: Hmmmm, was it Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert?

TB: You know, you really are freaky as hell sometimes.

Which is when I had to explain to him that I'm really not that freaky. By and large, airport reading can be pretty unimaginative. Mostly bestsellers, because that's what you can readily buy at airport newsstands. He still thought I was some kind of freaky super-genius though....

6 comments:

Cathy in AK said...

Let him keep believing it. It'll keep him on his toes :) Then again, he may ask you to "perform" at parties.

"Hey, come here, folks! Watch this. Wendy, I'm thinking of a book with a Greek tycoon and a secret baby, and the name 'Smith'."

Jennie said...

Lol. You are definitely Super Librarian. I can never control my nosiness--I'm forever trying to read the covers of people's books, on the subway, bus, whatever. I'm sure it's rude, but I just want to know. :)

Joy said...

Ah, ha! I agree with Cathy in ak, keep him guessing--it's worked for me for over 40 years of marriage! Just tell him when he says you're amazing that "Librarians know everything or can find it out so be warned." Kept my spouse in line for years. BTW when I was reading a murder mystery with a gruesome cover one day, he asked what I was doing. I replied with an ominous expression "Research"!

Rosie said...

Uh, I think I have to go with TB here you're a bit of a freak. Of course it's a freak with great hair, but still... ;-P

Lady Rooster said...

Oh, you gave me a great idea! How to bust a reading slump! Go to the airport to read, the flight is late, your stuck on a plane, and you don't want to see who is getting on the plane with you so READ! Pick up a great book in the airport store and head to the beach to jump start a reading slump!

Wendy said...

Cathy: Ha! The irony is I'm truly horrible with those "Guess that Romance!" requests.

Jennie: It's probably a good thing I don't live in an area that has good mass-transit. I'm sure my nosiness would have gotten me a face full of pepper spray by now.

Joy: Librarians do have a tendency to have brains full of completely useless knowledge. Although it hasn't really paid off for me unless you count my mad skills at Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy.

Rosie: On the subject of hair, I always wanted naturally curly hair but every woman I know who does have it, hates it! That's so very wrong...

~debbie~ - It does work, but no other distractions! No lap top, no iPod, and most importantly - leave the hubby and kids at home :)