Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Backlog

Like a junkie needing a fix, I'm itching to buy some books online and am currently at a stalemate. I'm waiting on Amazon to credit a gift certificate to my account, then I'm finally going to order A Gentle Rain by Deborah Smith and a whole slew of erotica. I don't know about you all, but I almost exclusively buy my erotica online these days because I get annoyed when I walk into a Borders to find that some asshole has bent the spines on all the Black Lace titles. Yes, I know I'm militant when it comes to spine creasing but color me crazy - if the book is being sold in a bookstore as new, it should look new (Which is why I think all new bookstores should banish comfortable seating. Yes, I know that view won't make me popular, but I'm not spending $7.99 plus tax on a paperback that has a spine all bent out of shape.)

I also have been putting off an eHarlequin order. I still haven't ordered all the yummy looking holiday-themed books that Harlequin SuperRomance put out in November. And now? Well now eHarlequin is doing their 12-days of Christmas promotion and I'm trying to decide the best time to order. Given that many of those holiday HSR titles are 50% off today, I might be ordering today instead of waiting for December 12, when all books are 40% off (I need to catch up on my Harlequin Historical buying as well).

If that weren't bad enough, I now have the last two issues of Romantic Times that I've only flipped through. I'm a plot synopsis ho, which is why I shell out the bucks for RT. Plot synopsis is the first phase in landing on Wendy's Coveted To Be Bought List. The TBB is a living, breathing entity, with titles getting added or dumped as more information is made available (Soul mates? Gone! Virgin hero? Come to Mama!). Yet there they sit. Two magazines chock full of plot synopsis completely free of highlighter markings. Sad Wendy, just sad.

Side note: Lonesome Dove Update: For those who care (probably not many of you). I almost called in sick today so I could read more. Honestly, I have a problem. Page 548 and counting....

9 comments:

lisabea said...

I've heard recently grumblings about eHarlequin. I have yet to purchase anything there. I buy my erotica on line because I'm a wimp when it comes to paying for books with naked (mostly) men on the cover. The sales girls sneer. The sales men leer. AND the closest bookstore is 40 miles round trip. gr. Now I have my nifty reader and I'm so happy. sniffle. I love it.

What'dya buyin?

Wendy said...

Lisa: Expect future posts once on the books arrive.

I've had nothing but good luck with eHarlequin, but I've read those recent grumblings too. I love their "Bill Me Later" option and the deals they offer. I picked up a few HH titles I hadn't gotten around to buying yet plus all the November HSR titles. Yes, I bit the bullet and placed the order today. Now I'm just waiting on Amazon to activate my gc.....

Sherry Thomas said...

Virgin hero, come to Mama?

My debut book has a virgin hero, a fact which will not be obvious in synopsis or reviews, cuz it has twin timelines, and hero guy was very much untouched in the past timeline, until the heroine messes with him.

dancechica said...

"Virgin hero? Come to Mama!"

LOL. Lately I find myself drawn to virgin hero stories, too. It's one of the many things I enjoyed about Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh (the third in her Psy/Changeling series). I guess because it's not often done whereas virgin heroines are done to death. It makes for a nice change of pace.

Anonymous said...

Harlequin Spice Briefs is having a coupon sale.

www.myspace.com/spicebriefs

Wendy said...

Sherry: I'm trying to not read your book until closer to the official release date. You aren't helping....

Rosie said...

Virgin hero? Come to Mama!

Jumping on the bandwagon...this cracked me up. You trollop you.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the creased spines at bookstores. I hate it when I see people settling in at Borders' Cafe with a freshly printed book, reading it as if they're planning on staying there all day. Either buy the damn book or leave it alone! Can you tell it's a hot button for me?

QB said...

"I get annoyed when I walk into a Borders to find that some asshole has bent the spines on all the Black Lace titles"

WAIT! I thought we could only get Black Lace from Amazon here in the US!!! Where does Borders shelve them at?

You've just made me all kinds of happy, Wendy!