Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Just Tune This Out Non-Baseball Fans

It happened last night. The unthinkable. Yes, my Detroit Tigers clinched a winning season with their 81st win (and it was over the White Sox who I'm beginning to hate almost as much as the Skankees. Shocking, I know. I mean, who would have thought it was possible). Let us reflect for a moment. 119 loses in 2003 and no winning season since 1993 people.

My dream for this season was a winning one. Over .500. That's all this girl was asking for. Now it looks like we're making the playoffs (short of a serious implosion). But I fear for my boys. Truly I do. Because now there are expectations. People are actually voluntarily spending time in downtown Detroit to watch ballgames. I'm not sure how far we'll go in the playoffs, assuming we make it - but something tells me if it ain't a World Series win that "fans" will be throwing a fit.

Seriously, y'all are just greedy. At this point I'm willing to get a tattoo in honor of us winning the AL Central Division - not that I'd actually do it. Low tolerance for pain and all.

So what are my continued dreams for the end of the season? So glad you asked!
  • The Yankees need to keep losing money. This is actually more of a long term goal, but I'm nothing if not blood-thirsty.
  • The Yankees don't make the playoffs. This is more like a pipe dream now since Boston currently has their collective heads up their asses.
  • Watch more Blue Jays highlights. This one is for KristieJ. At the start of the year The Boyfriend said, "Oh yeah, we'll be in 3rd place with a higher payroll!" Looks like he's right. But man, I'm loving your boy Gibbons more and more every day. Seriously, y'all have needed some fire on that team for a long time.
  • Big Fat-Ass is not going to get the MVP. Besides the obvious fact that he plays half the game, his OPS just got back to .400 people. And in case anyone knowing Ortiz personally reads this - kidding! I'm kidding! (OK, the guy scares the hell out of me. I don't care if he's got a good smile - Scares. The. Hell. Out. Of. Me.)
  • Give the MVP to Joe Mauer. Although I suspect he'll get robbed because that idiot Jeter is the sexier choice. Blah, blah, blah - he plays in NY. Who frickin' cares? Yeah, KristieJ I was pulling for your boy Vernon too - but he's fading down the stretch.
  • My boy Verlander for Rookie Of The Year. Although I suspect he'll get robbed because that idiot Papelbon is the sexier choice. Blah, blah, blah - he plays in Boston. Who frickin' cares?
  • The Tigers look respectable down the stretch and in the playoffs. I'll be fine if we lose - just as long as we don't lose ugly. And we have a tendency to lose real ugly.
Next blog post - back to normal, no baseball. Breathe easy you romance readers, breathe easy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited for our Tigers! I was at the last two games and the atmosphere was just unbelievable! I have experienced it at Red Wing and Piston games but this was different. Who would have thought in April that we would be here! I am loving it!

Kristie

David said...

An 81st win clinches a .500 season. An 82nd win clinches a winning season ;)

Rosie said...

Wendy we live in SoCal and somehow my California born son has loved the Cincinatti Reds since he was about 8 years old. Go figure?!!So, I'm hearing like arguments, hopes, dreams and ambitions from him about the Reds and their stats each day as he prays game by game that they make the play offs.

I nod my head obligingly and commiserate because I have no idea who he's talking about, but those Reds are serious business for him.

As the Pirates are for my BIL and the Indians are for my husband.

The one thing you all have in common? Your united contempt for those damn Yankees!! : )

Wendy said...

See - there goes the ex-boyfriend raining on my parade :-) Throw me a bone here will ya?

Kristie - Home games have been jumping haven't they? I watch a ton of games thanks to DirecTV, but frankly it just isn't the same....

Rosie - the Reds? That's interesting. Although they had major kick-ass teams back in the day (well before your son's time, so that doesn't explain it). And my condolences to your hubby. The Indians came in with such high expectations this year and they just fell apart. Even though both teams share a division with the Tigers, I like the Indians and the Twins. Frankly, how can you not? It's sort of like kicking a puppy to hate either. The White Sox - now that's a different story....

David said...

Once the Yankees hating starts, I just can't help it :)

Colleen Gleason said...

It's 1984 all over again! Yay Tigers!!

I'm so glad we've got baseball back again in Michigan!

Kristie (J) said...

Wendy: The Jays just HAVE to get out of that division!!! Year after year after year - third place. But then if they did they would have to go against your Tigers and that wouldn't be right! Then you and the Boyfriend would have all kinds of arguments :). I haven't been able to watch the Jays - to hard for me at the moment - but I sure wish I'd seen that dust up between Gibbons and Lily. And I do keep track of the sinking ship daily in the paper though *sigh*. And we may not have a winner with Vernon but I think we have a real good shot at the Cy Young with Doc Halliday (who is nicknamed after the famous western hero so you have to route for him too *g*.)

Kristie (J) said...

Ooohh - back again. I just followed the link and much thanks!!! I got to see what happened!!!! Yippee. And I like Gibbons too. I saw in a poll where they think he should be dismissed - Naaawwwww. He's just passionate about the team. And did you know I have a Ted Lilly Candy Dispenser??? Betcha didn't know that. Not many people do. I don't want to create a lot of dispenser envy. It was a giveaway at a game we went to a few years ago :)

Wendy said...

KristieJ: I'm not sure about your boy Doc's chances this year. He just hasn't looked "right" for lack of a better word. I think this year the Cy Young is actually a race - lots of pitchers playing really well in the AL this year.

LOL - a Ted Lilly candy dispenser? That's priceless.

And I think Gibbons' problem is that he coached in the minors too long. He's used to players actually LISTENING to him. Silly man.

Tara Marie said...

Hey, I go on vacation and you start Yankee bashing, that's just not right--LOL.