Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Mission Accomplished!

I've just completed AngieW's February TBR Challenge.

Title: Lady X's Cowboy

Author: Zoe Archer

Year published: 2006

Why did you get this book? Well it was on my TBB list, but I ended up getting it in my latest shipment of review books for TRR.

Do you like the cover? This was published under Dorchester's Leisure imprint - a house that likes to slap crappy covers on books. Archer being a debut author, she sort of dodged a bullet here. This cover isn't too bad. I do think it looks a bit amateurish though - sort of like the art department just discovered how "neat" Photoshop could be.

Did you enjoy the book? Yes. The hero is an American cowboy who comes to London looking for his long lost family. The heroine is a widow who runs her own brewery. The hero saves her when thugs accost her on the street. The villain is the fourth son of an earl who wants the heroine's brewery for himself, and is going at great lengths to force her out of business. The heroine proposes to the hero that if he helps her with the villain, she'll help him find his family.

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again?
Well she's new to everybody, as she's a debut author. And yes, I would read something else by her.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? I'll be donating this one to my library's collection. It was a good read, but I have extremely high standards when it comes to keepers.

Anything else? I liked that for once it was the American hero who was the fish out of water in London. I also loved that the heroine was a grown-up, not a bumbling society miss with no clue. The hero does talk western a lot ("bushwhacked", "fandango" etc.), which might get old for some, but generally speaking didn't bother me. I also really appreciated how the author ended the "long lost family" sub plot. Quite refreshing.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

You must indeed be having blogger problems. I know I posted a message here last night - mind you it was about 2:30 and I was tired so I might have done something wrong.
Anyway - what I originally posted (or so I thought) was I'm going to have to give this one a try. I was looking at it the other day and was tempted then. And it was right beside the lastet book by Marjorie M Liu and I really noticed the striking similiarities in the pose of the two women.

Wendy said...

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!! My post about blogger eating my post has been eaten now. Somebody please shoot me!

Kristie (J) said...

I noticed that too. It disappeared! Suppose it's alive somehow and didn't like what you had to say? It really can be annoying sometimes can't it?

Nicole said...

What's really weird is that if I click on the link to your post about blogger eating your post from Kinja, it shows up, but not on your site.

Wendy said...

When I log into my blogger account, it isn't listed there either. It literally got sucked into some sort of cyber black hole.

Ah hell. I haven't had Blogger issues in forever, so I think I was overdue. I'm going to give it a couple of days and post something pithy on Tuesday.