Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Friday, June 27, 2003

Haven't posted much this week because I don't know whether I'm coming or going these days. I've been dividing my time between 3 different libraries. My boss left me a note this morning addressed to the "vagabond librarian." Honestly, I'm beginning to feel like one.

I did want to post about an unusual little movie I watched earlier in the week - Secretary, which stars everyone's favorite slimy yuppie Brat Packer - James Spader.

In a nutshell this movie is about a girl recently released from a mental hospital because she's into self-mutilation (you know - cutting herself, burning herself etc.). To escape her completely whacked out family, she decides to take a job as a secretary for a lawyer. Now our lawyer also has some issues - namely he's a dominant personality and is more than a bit disgusted with himself. So begins their relationship - based on humiliation, dominance and submission - but along the way, I'm convinced they are truly in love.

Whether or not you think S&M behavior can exist in a healthy relationship isn't really the point this movie is trying to make. I have this thing for unconventional love stories - and Secretary is about as unconventional as they come. It's moving, it's gripping - it makes me want to buy the DVD for myself. Color me a sicko if you want. I can't help it.

No comments: