Amazon discontinued the ability to create images using their SiteStripe feature and in their infinite wisdom broke all previously created images on 12/31/23. Many blogs used this feature, including this one. Expect my archives to be a hot mess of broken book cover images until I can slowly comb through 20 years of archives to make corrections.

Tuesday, March 25, 2003

I supplement a lot of my reading with audio books, mainly because I have to work for a living and don't have the time to read everything my little heart desires. I just can't do romance on audio (I feel too much like a voyeur), but have found that it is a grand way to get my mystery "reading" in and those off the beaten path books that catch my eye.

I am finally getting around to Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Anyone who has spent any sort of time around me knows how much I adored the movie. I know - I'm a girl, I probably shouldn't like Fight Club - but I do. It's clever, and I'm a sucker for clever. It's also directed by David Fincher, who's style of directing appeals to me - again, because it's clever. Even though it's a movie that disturbs the heck out of me - I'll watch Se7en repeatedly because I so enjoy Fincher's style.

Back to the audio book of Fight Club - I'm surprised how true to the style of the book the movie is. They are shockingly similar. Why am I so surprised? Because no matter how good the movie is - the book is always better. If anyone can think of an instance where the movie is better than the book - let me know. So far I can only come up with Gone With The Wind. That movie ranks as my all-time favorite, and I've never been able to get through the book. Too verbose for my tastes - the flowerly style has never done it for yours truly.

No comments: